Cave Diving Tragedy at Troy Spring: The Untold Story of John and Michael’s Fatal Dive

Incident LocationDiver Names
United States, Florida, Lafayette County, Troy SpringJohn, Michael

The depths of Troy Spring were a diverse paradise, a mesmerizing realm of crystal clear waters and breathtaking visibility. Divers from all over flocked to this secluded spot in Lafayette County, eager to explore the uncharted territories hidden beneath the surface. But on one fateful April day in 1990, the tranquility of Troy Spring was shattered by a tragic event that would change the course of history. The closing of Troy Spring was a devastating blow, not only to open water divers but also to the cave and cavern diving community in North Central Florida.

Troy Spring’s Appeal

Despite not being a traditional cave diving site, Troy Spring was widely regarded as one of the premier open water training locations in the southeastern United States, rivaled only by the legendary Crystal River. With its clear spring water, diverse range of depths, and long, wide run to the Suwannee River, Troy Spring was a diver’s dream come true. It was also larger than many of the training pools used by visiting students, making it the perfect place to hone their skills. Aside from a popular open water training site, Troy Spring was also a unique and highly sought-after location for instructors due to its exceptional features. With the exception of a small cave at the bottom and a few shallow overhanging ledges, there were no cavern areas that divers were likely to stray into, making it a safe and secure spot for training.

Lack of Regulations and Oversight

But perhaps the most dangerous aspect of Troy Spring was the lack of regulations and oversight, leaving divers to navigate the site without proper guidance and precautions. On April 14, 1990, John and Michael set out for a diving adventure at Troy Spring. As daring divers, they were no strangers to the thrill of exploring the depths of the water.

However, what they didn’t have was formal cave or cavern training before their dive. The pair visited a local hardware store where they purchased a spool of monofilament fishing line, which they planned to use as a guideline during their dive. They also gathered their diving equipment and did a thorough check to make sure everything was in working order. They were excited to explore the unknown depths of the spring and set off with a sense of adventure and thrill.

The Ill-Fated Dive

Despite the lack of training, the duo announced their intention to delve a little way into the extremely tiny cave at the 80-foot level. As they geared up and descended into the crystal clear waters of the spring, little did they know that this would be their last dive. They had spent the previous night discussing their plan to explore the tiny cave located at the 80-foot level. As they prepared to enter the water, several other divers gathered around, trying to convince them to stay in the open water. They warned John and Michael of the dangers of venturing into the cave without proper training, citing the potential for disorientation, equipment failure, and strong currents.

Despite the pleas of other divers to turn back and return to the safety of open water, John and Michael were determined to continue. They had spent weeks planning for this dive, and they were not going to let a little warning stop them. They were convinced they were experienced enough to handle the cave. They stepped confidently into the crystal clear spring water, not realizing that this would be the last time they would see the light of day.

Trapped in the Cave

As they descended deeper and deeper into the cave, the other divers watched in horror, knowing that they had done everything in their power to prevent this tragedy. As they ventured deeper into the cave, the currents began to pick up, becoming stronger and more unpredictable. John, the lead diver, started to feel the effects of the current as his regulator began to free flow with every breath. He felt a sense of panic rising within him as the air in his tanks started to dwindle at an alarming rate.

The effort required to enter the cave had caused him to breathe harder and faster, exacerbating the problem. Michael, the second diver, was also struggling. He had managed to avoid the worst of the current, but his air consumption rate was extremely high. He had not been prepared for the level of exertion required to enter the cave, and his tanks were quickly running low. Unlike John, Michael did not have an octopus with which to share his air, and he knew that his fate was now inextricably linked to his partner.

A Race Against Time

As they pushed deeper into the cave, the sense of danger and urgency grew with each passing moment. They knew they had to turn back, but the cave was so small that it would be a difficult and dangerous task. With their air supplies dwindling and the current becoming stronger and more unpredictable, the two divers were in a race against time to make it back to safety. The reality of their situation began to hit them like a freight train. The monofilament fishing line they had brought as a guideline, which they had thought would be their lifeline, proved to be no match for the powerful currents that swirled around them.

They were quickly pulled away from the entrance, the only light and safety they had known just moments ago now a distant memory. Their attempts to swim back to the surface were futile as the lack of air and the disorientation caused by the cave’s twists and turns made it impossible for them to find their way back.

Trapped and Drowned

55 feet into the cave, the lead diver John ran low on air and attempted to share air with his already panicky buddy, Michael. Unfortunately, because Michael lacked an octopus, they could only attempt to pass a single second stage back and forth. The extremely heavy current present in the cave proved to be too much for the divers to handle. It forced them back towards the entrance, and in the process, both divers became hopelessly entangled in their do-it-yourself guideline. Panic set in as they realized they were truly lost, with no way of getting out of the cave alive.

They struggled to keep their cool, but the fear of never seeing the light of day again was overwhelming. The last thing they saw were the walls of the cave closing in on them as the darkness consumed them completely. Trapped and unable to move, they drowned within sight of the surface.

Recovery and Closure

As the recovery specialists carefully made their way to the site of the tragic accident, the weight of the situation weighed heavily on their minds. They knew that every second counted and that every decision they made could mean the difference between life and death. As they reached the depths of the cave, the reality of the situation became clear. The lead diver, his body limp and lifeless, had run out of air and was unable to be saved.

The second diver, though still alive, was in a critical state, his body tangled in the makeshift guideline they had brought with them. The specialists worked quickly, cutting through the tangled lines with precision and care. But even with their expertise, it took a grueling 10 minutes to free the second diver. Tragically, his buddy had also met the same fate, unable to reach his second-stage rebreather.

Aftermath and Lessons

As the sun set on that fateful April 14, 1990, the news of the tragic drownings at Troy Spring spread like wildfire among the tight-knit diving community. The families of the two divers, John and Michael, were left to grapple with the devastating loss of their loved ones. The investigation into the incident revealed that both divers had suffered from a lack of air, with John’s regulator free-flowing and Michael unable to reach his second-stage rebreather. The heavy current and disorientation had ultimately proved to be too much for the ill-prepared divers.

The tragic drowning of two Palatka, Florida divers in Troy Spring was a shock to the diving community and raised concerns about the consequences of the lack of regulations and oversight at the site. The fact that access to Troy Spring required neither an admission fee nor adherence to a significant number of state, county, or private park rules may have contributed to the accident, as divers may not have been as aware of the potential risks and hazards of the site.

Two days later, the executor of the estate that controls the right-of-way to the spring made the difficult decision to close the site to the public in order to prevent any future tragedies from occurring. With the looming threat of lawsuits and government intervention, the property could no longer afford the risk. The access road was blocked off, and with plans to convert the property into a boys’ camp, it seemed unlikely that the spring would ever be open to divers again.

The Legacy of John and Michael

The tragic story of John and Michael serves as a sobering reminder of the dangers of cave diving. Their decision to ignore the warnings of experienced divers and to venture into the cave without proper training ultimately cost them their lives. Despite the beauty and allure of the crystal clear spring water, it was a deadly trap that they could not escape.

The death of these two young men was a profound loss for their families and friends, and their memory will forever be etched in the hearts of those who knew them. But in the wake of their deaths, we must also remember the lessons that they have taught us. We must respect the power of nature and always be aware of the risks that we take. We must also remember that no adventure is worth sacrificing our lives for. Let us honor John and Michael by being vigilant and responsible in our own pursuits so that their deaths will not be in vain.

Before your next dive, consider insurance – it’s like having a dive buddy for unexpected challenges. Dive safe, dive covered. Explore options here


What happened at Troy Spring in 1990?

Two divers, John and Michael, drowned while exploring the cave at Troy Spring.

Why was Troy Spring a popular diving location?

Troy Spring was known for its clear water, diverse depths, and suitability for open water training.

What led to the tragedy at Troy Spring?

The lack of regulations and oversight, as well as the divers’ lack of formal cave or cavern training, contributed to the incident.

Did other divers try to warn John and Michael?

Yes, other divers warned them about the dangers of entering the cave without proper training, but they were determined to proceed.

Has Troy Spring been closed to the public?

Yes, two days after the incident, Troy Spring was closed to the public due to the risk involved. It is unlikely to be open to divers again.

Patrick Broin
Patrik, a seasoned cave diver, shares his first-hand experiences and expert insights on the treacherous world of cave diving accidents.
All diving accidents