The Baffling Disappearance of Diver Maureen Patricia at The Anthony’s Key Resort

The Baffling Disappearance of Diver Maureen Patricia at The Anthony’s Key Resort
Incident LocationDiver Full Names
Sandy Bay, Bay Islands, Honduras, Anthony’s Key ResortMaureen Patricia Lalonde

The Mesoamerican Reef, a captivating barrier reef, draws enthusiasts for unforgettable diving experiences. In today’s tragic incident, a returning diver vanished during her 700th dive at Anthony’s Key Resort. This transcript unfolds the events surrounding the unfortunate incident.

Anthony’s Key Resort: A Diver’s Paradise

Nestled in Roatan, Honduras, Anthony’s Key Resort boasts an all-inclusive experience amidst the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System, the largest in the Western Hemisphere. Offering diverse activities such as snorkeling and diving, the resort promises both comfort and nature exploration.

Stretching over 700 miles, the reef spans from the Yucatan Peninsula to the Honduran Bay Islands, touching the shores of Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, and Honduras. Anthony’s Key Resort provides an opportunity to witness various marine species, including stony corals, mollusks, dolphins, turtles, and stingrays.

Maureen Patricia Lalonde: A Diver’s Enthusiast

Maureen Patricia Lalonde, a Canadian citizen, and her husband, Pierre, embarked on a five-week trip to Anthony’s Key Resort, with Maureen eagerly anticipating her 700th dive. Regular visitors to the resort, the couple cherished both water exploration and the island’s cultural beauty.

During their stay, Maureen and Pierre befriended another diving couple, Terry and his wife, enhancing the communal aspect of their holiday. Little did they know that tragedy would strike on January 8th, 2017, the day of their planned dive.

The Fateful Dive

On the dive day, all boats were relocated due to calmer seas. Maureen, Terry, Clay, and others were briefed by their dive master aboard the boat. The pairs descended, waiting at 30 ft (9 m) for the last group. As complications arose, the dive master’s attempts to communicate went unnoticed.

Unaware of the unfolding tragedy, Terry and his group continued their descent. The dive master’s distress signals were ignored, leading to a tragic separation. Terry, realizing the seriousness, made efforts to ensure the safety of the young boy who was separated from his father.

As the divers reached their safety stop at 15 ft (5 m), they observed the dive master’s unusual behavior. Maureen remained missing, and the dive master failed to provide satisfactory explanations, intensifying the mystery.

Post-Incident Actions

Back on the boat, Clay, who had lost contact in the water, shared his experience. Despite facing equipment issues, Terry suggested a controlled return for Clay with him as a safety diver. The dive master, having reached extreme depths, finally surfaced after sixteen minutes.

The dive master, Clay, and Terry returned to the boat, where the former revealed witnessing Maureen’s descent with no response to distress signals. The incident cast a shadow over what was meant to be a joyous diving experience, leaving the diving community in shock.

As she descended without response or control, the dive master lost sight of her at 200 ft (61 m). The destination she was heading towards lay 400–500 ft (122-152 m) deeper. The subsequent search efforts, involving multiple dive masters, failed to yield any positive outcomes.

Unanswered Questions

Upon returning to the boat at the dive master complained of a right shoulder joint pain, and Clay reported a headache. The nature of Maureen’s predicament remained a baffling mystery. How could an experienced diver on her 700th dive descend uncontrollably, ignoring the associated dangers? Various factors, such as vertigo, stroke, a flooded regulator, water inhalation, or other unforeseen circumstances, were considered, with Maureen’s weight deemed a secondary factor.

Intensified Search Efforts

Despite numerous attempts by divers to reach the accident scene, the search proved fruitless. Relief forces and additional personnel joined the search on both land and sea. Even Maureen’s husband joined the relentless search, spanning Omoa, Guatemala, and the Honduran islands of Utila. The search culminated on the paradisiac island of Roatan, where, after a week, Maureen’s body was discovered by the roadside.

Gruesome Discovery

Shockingly, Maureen’s body was found split into two pieces, with one leg missing. The circumstances surrounding her journey from Anthony’s Key Resort to Roatan, and the cause of her gruesome demise, raised numerous questions. Could a nearby shark dive have led to a shark attack, tearing her body apart? The deep, cold waters of Roatan Resorts held the secret to Maureen’s tragic end.

The circumstances of Maureen’s dive remain shrouded in mystery, leaving unanswered questions about the events that unfolded beneath the waves.

Before your next dive, consider insurance – it’s like having a dive buddy for unexpected challenges. Dive safe, dive covered. Explore options here


Was the cause of Maureen’s mishap ever determined?

The exact cause remains elusive. Various scenarios, including vertigo, a stroke, or a flooded regulator, were considered. However, the circumstances leading to her tragic end in the deep, cold waters of Roatan Resorts remain unclear.

Rebecca Penrose
Rebecca, an experienced blogger, delves into the world of diving accidents, sharing insights, stories, and valuable lessons learned. Dive in and explore the depths of underwater safety.
All diving accidents